Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Music and Memorial Day

Photo credit: Kimberly G.
Last month there was a national holiday, we know it as Memorial Day. A family at our church held a day of festivities that included a time for music and sharing. Esther and I played two pieces together, one of which was titled The Lord Shall Supply Thy Need .

Why Memorial Day? What are remembering? Many things; Providences of God, our history etc. Keeping in mind that one of the foremost reasons we have Memorial Day, is for saying thank you to those who have died in the past for our liberty, as well as for the Christian Faith, the words to The Lord Shall Supply My Need seemed fitting for the day.

I can imagine that these words might have given great comfort to those Christians fighting in the battlefield, as well as those facing the burning stake.

My Lord Shall Supply Thy Need

My Shepherd will supply my need: Jehovah is His name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed, Beside the living stream. 
He brings my wandering spirit back When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy's sake, In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death His presence is my stay;
One word of His supporting grace Drives all my fears away. 
His hand, in sight of all my foes, Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows, His oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode, And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest, While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest, But like a child at home.

Psalm 23, paraphrased
Isaac Watts, 1674-1748



No comments:

 

Copyright © 2010 Eleganza Strings . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com